Each year Construction Monitor and the Dallas Builders Association publish the top 40 builders by homes sold and dollar value. D R Horton Custom Homes tops the 2015 list with 2007 homes sold for a total dollar value of $359, 467, 975.
Take a few minutes and review the list. Choose builders active in your area of operations and visit some of their on-site sales agents. Ask questions to determine if this is a builder you’d like to partner with. Here are some examples of questions worth asking:
- What role in the building, mortgage and closing process are you expecting the Realtor to play?
- What is your Realtor registration policy? Can I phone in a client registration in case I am showing homes with another client?
- How do you and the builder communicate with the Realtor during the construction process?
- Does your builder allow negotiation on price, cost of options and financing?
- What is your policy with regard to using a standard Realtor contract and addendums?
- Are there any restrictions with regard to my client hiring an outside third party inspector? Will your builder fix items listed on a third party inspection report?
- What does the contract say about return of earnest money and cancelling the contract?
- What is the builder warranty? What does it cover? What is the procedure for warranty claims? How quick are repairs made?
- It is not in the best interest of any party to have verbal agreements. Will your builder put everything in writing throughout the process including inspection items?
- What compensation do you normally pay Realtors? When is the compensation paid? Do you pay Realtor bonuses?
This may seem like a lot of questions to ask but each is important and will help you determine if you want to work with the builder. Be sure to take notes and if you are not sure you understand, ask more questions until you do understand. And don’t worry about asking too many questions, the builder or salesperson will be impressed by your thoroughness and professionalism.
DFW is fortunate to have so many quality builders to choose from. Your task is to find the builder that fits your buying profile. And then seek this builder out, build a relationship with the on-site agent, introduce your clients and, most importantly, let the new home agent do their job. I promise if you follow my advice you will soon find that selling new homes may be the easiest sale you will ever make.
Also, consider connecting with HomesUSA Alliance Builder members today. In addition to other incentives, Agent Alliance members receive an additional $500 bonus for each sale of a participating Alliance builder member’s home where they are the procuring cause. Join Free →
|Dallas Metro Single Family Builders|
|1||D R Horton Custom||2007||$359,467,975|
|4||First Texas Homes *||907||$257,330,338|
|6||K Hovnanian Homes||538||$230,329,172|
|9||Darling Homes of||408||$154,683,040|
|10||Megatel Homes Inc||522||$142,768,256|
|17||History Maker Homes||528||$107,270,701|
|18||Batten & Shaw||1||$102,000,000|
|24||J Houston Homes||309||$55,903,570|
|26||Drees Custom Homes||157||$52,671,673|
|30||Ashton Woods Homes||218||$44,357,751|
|33||Altura Homes Lp||164||$37,802,764|
|34||Dunhill Homes *||151||$36,580,688|
|35||Windsor Homes *||120||$36,114,449|
|38||Impression Homes *||196||$34,068,074|
|39||CB Jeni Homes||174||$34,010,637|
|Source: Construction Monitor / Dallas Builder Association|
Bob Hafer has been a leader in the housing industry for 40 + years. His extensive experience gives him unparalleled insight into the mysteries and marvels of home buying and selling. His background includes new home success in consulting, management, administration, sales, marketing, merchandising, research and sales training. In 2009, to complement his new home experience, he earned his real estate license. He is currently the VP of Business Development for www.HomesUSA.com. In 2016 Bob co-founded www.homesusaalliance.com with Ben Caballero. Its mission is to connect Builders and Realtors through communication and education. Contact Bob at firstname.lastname@example.org or call him at 972-795-5926.